Pages

February 24, 2012

Untimately's 20 Quick Questions: Rules In The Tower Of Zordaz

Hey, look at this really cool post I just found over at Untimately! (Who, by the way, is also a player in my ConstantCon Zordaz game.) It's pretty cool so I decided to take it. It made me think about stuff I hadn't figured out in first place, and I recommend you give it a shot. The following are my answers for the Tower Of Zordaz ConstantCon campaign, I run under Labyrinth Lord.

1. Ability scores generation method?
You pick what you prefer. 3d6, 4d6, straight down the line, arrange at taste, pool o' points, cheating, all 18s, whatever. The cool thing about Labyrinth Lord is Ability scores don't mean that much, so it's pretty much up to what makes you feel more comfortable at the table.

2. How are death and dying handled?
Characters die as soon as their hit points total reaches 0. I do allow maximum hit points at first level, though (+/- constitution modifier, of course).

3. What about raising the dead?
With the proper spell, of course. You can even buy it at the local temple.

4. How are replacement PCs handled?
This should not be a issue, as long as each session starts with the PCs going on adventure, and ending with the party heading back to the home-base. Just roll up a new character, it takes like 5 minutes. (And this is another reason why I play Labyrinth Lord, by the way.) As a general rule, you begin with one/two level less than the lower level member of the party.

5. Initiative: individual, group, or something else?
Group initiative, on a d6. And surprise check.

6. Are there critical hits and fumbles? How do they work?
A natural 20 on the to hit roll is always a hit. Also, if you roll a natural 20 and actually beat the opponent's AC, you also score maximum damage. (That doesn't necessary mean you also actually wound your opponent: some of them are protected against non-magical/non-silver/whatever weapons.)

7. Do I get any benefits for wearing a helmet?
No. But it's cool to have one horned one if you're a warrior, y'know, so go for it if you are so inclined.

8. Can I hurt my friends if I fire into melee or do something similarly silly?
Yes, it happens if you roll a 1. Any other similar situation will be adjudicated on the fly.

9. Will we need to run from some encounters, or will we be able to kill everything?
You will need to run from time to time. Encounters in the dungeons beneath the Tower are usually level scaled (i.e. the deeper you go, the tougher they get), although some side-levels and sub-levels may have some really tough encounters or monsters you don't have the proper weapons to hit.

10. Level-draining monsters: yes or no?
Yes. I'm a sadist.

11. Are there going to be cases where a failed save results in PC death?
Yes. Save or die poisons are a good example of this.

12. How strictly are encumbrance & resources tracked?
This is up to you. Personally, when I play I like to keep track of everything, but I'm a maniac! I don't want to lower anyone else's fun. Obviously, hardly I will let your Halfling to carry the entire Dragon's hoard all by his own.

13. What's required when my PC gains a level? Training? Do I get new spells automatically? Can it happen in the middle of an adventure, or do I have to wait for down time?
No training, but you automatically get the new spells only if you have access to some magic academy library or higher level mentor.

14. What do I get experience for?
Defeating monsters (as per monster's HD), looting (1gp = 1xp), and exploration of the dungeons beneath the Tower Of Zordaz (5-10xp per new room discovered). Bluffing, killing, forcing to fail morale checks all counts as "defeating a monster".

15. How are traps located? Description, dice rolling, or some combination?
Dice rolling. We have thieves after all!

16. Are retainers encouraged and how does morale work?
Yes as long as you're willing to pay for them. Morale works accordingly to the Labyrinth Lord rules.

17. How do I identify magic items?
Casting the proper spell. If you fail the identification, then you'll have to ask someone else to identify the magic item in your place, or find a way to figure it out yourself (like, wearing the mysterious magical ring).

18. Can I buy magic items? Oh, come on: how about just potions?
Yes you can, usually by magic-users. Potions of healing are usually sold in temples too.

19. Can I create magic items? When and how?
Yes and again, by the book.

20. What about splitting the party?
I'm fine with it, but remember: I'm a horror movies addicted.

3 comments: